Connect with us

Tech

Zomato stages protest in Kolkata on Saturday, Technology News, ETtech

Published

on

Zomato stages protest in Kolkata on SaturdaySome Kolkata-based delivery executives of online food aggregator Zomato staged a protest in the city on Saturday, claiming to show their anger at the firm’s China-based investor Alibaba, whose financial affiliate Ant Financial holds about 26% stake in the restaurant discovery platform.

The videos of these protests which show a group of purportedly Zomato employees burning the company uniform first surfaced on microblogging platform Twitter and comes amid wider anti-China rhetoric in the country following an over month-long border standoff that claimed the lives of 20 Indian soldiers earlier this month.

“Indian army jawans have been killed, but Zomato loves China,” these protestors were heard as saying in a video footage posted on Twitter.

ET could not independently verify whether these protests were indeed related to the raging anti-China sentiment in the country or if there were more localised issues at play.

When contacted, a spokesperson for Zomato said, “This protest was conducted by a small number of delivery partners in Behala (Kolkata) who had their contracts terminated recently for repeatedly violating our platform guidelines. Unfortunately, in their spite, they decided to get themselves heard by riding the wave of a sensitive sentiment.”

The spokesperson added that Zomato’s other delivery partners had not participated in the protest.

Earlier this week, Zomato’s existing investor InfoEdge said it had not yet received $100 million from the $150 million it raised from Ant Financial in January. InfoEdge, which is a big shareholder in Zomato, said efforts were on to bring on board investors from outside of China.

Chinese investors – both strategic and financial – have pumped in $3.9 billion in 2019, up from $2 billion in 2018, in India, ET reported earlier. In the process, they have emerged as the biggest backers of the country’s fast-growing digital economy, supplanting the United States.

Unicorns including Paytm, Oyo, Ola, BigBasket, among others have raised capital from Chinese investors.

Last week, ET reported that India’s investor community had begun conversations with companies to diversify their China exposure and search for alternatives, including for production, supply chain and fundraising.



Source link

Tech

Oppo to introduce 125W fast charging solution on July 15

Published

on

By

By: Tech Desk |

Updated: July 14, 2020 10:28:14 am


Oppo fast charing, Oppo 125W fast charging, oppo 125W fast charging launch, fastest smartphone charger, oppo super vooc charging Oppo will unveil 125W fast charging on July 15 (Source: Express Photo/Oppo Twitter)

The smartphone market is evolving drastically and so is the need for fast charging. When customers consider buying a new smartphone, one of the key features they look for is fast charging. The time taken to juice up a smartphone is advertised by a lot of smartphone companies and one of the reasons for their high demand. Now, Oppo has announced that it will unveil 125W fast charging this week which reportedly can top up a 4,000 mAh battery in just 15 minutes.

Oppo teased the new fast-charging tech in a tweet on Monday with the caption reading, “If you don’t like waiting to charge, the wait is almost over. #FlashForward”

Currently, Oppo offers 65W SuperVOOC 2.0 charging tech in its top-end smartphones which can max a 4,000 mAh battery in 30 minutes. It is still unclear whether Oppo will announce a new smartphone with their new fast-charging tech on July 15 but it will clarify how the company plans to implement this feature on its existing phones.

On the other hand, Vivo is not too far behind in the fast charging department. Vivo claimed that its 120W Super FlashCharge can charge a 4,000 mAh battery in just 13 minutes. The claim from Oppo’s sister company was made at Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2019 in Shanghai, China.

However, Oppo did beat Xiaomi to the punch as the latter had 100W Super Charge Turbo tech in works which was set to be launched this year.

Despite the overwhelming speeds at which the new fast-charging tech can charge your smartphone, there is also concern over the longevity of the battery. It may quicken the degradation of a battery and other technical issues like excessive heating.

The previous month, Oppo had to cancel the launch of its flagship 5G smartphone in India via live stream amidst the growing anti-China sentiment in India. A protest also took place at Oppo’s Greater Noida factory as calls for boycotting Chinese products grew stronger.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Technology News, download Indian Express App.

© IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Crazy Facts About Space | POPSUGAR Tech

Published

on

By


As we reported earlier this year, disgraced former Southern Charm star Thomas Ravenel knocked up a much younger woman.


Now, that woman — who is very much his ex — has given birth to his child.


The widely reviled former reality star and washed up ex-politician spoke to The Daily Mail about the good news.


“We’ve named him Jonathan Jackson Ravenel,” Thomas announced to the tabloid.


“And,” he divulged, “he was born by C-section.” The mother, as we previously reported, is Heather Mascoe.

Thomas Ravenel baby birth IG still


Thomas revealed that his son was born “on June 29.”


The baby was born weighing “7lbs 4oz.”


Additionally, he shared that his son’s body length was “20.25 inches long,”

Thomas Ravenel on Charm


Speaking on behalf of himself and of his ex, Thomas told the tabloid: “We are both very happy.”


“Heather is a phenomenal mom,” he expressed.


“And,” he revealed, “they’re both doing well.”

Kensie Ravenel and Saint Ravenel on Instagram


“t’s kind of difficult to explain to [the kids],” Thomas admitted, referring to his young children, Kensie and Saint.


“You know, ‘This is your half-brother – different mothers, same father,’” he explained.


That doesn’t sound very complicated to us, but each child is different.

Kathryn Dennis and Thomas Ravenel, Kensie Preschool Graduation


“They were a little confused.” Thomas characterized.


“In the end,” he shared, “I just told them, ‘You’ll understand when you’re older!’”


“But they’ve FaceTimed with the baby,” Thomas revealed, “and they’re very excited to meet him.”

Thomas Ravenel Snapshot


‘They’re getting ready to spend the week with their mother,” Thomas shared with the tabloid.


“So,” he added, “we’re hoping they’ll meet him after that.”


It’s amazing to get to meet your baby sibling for the first time.

Thomas Ravenel on Southern Charm


Thomas also confirmed that he and his new baby mama, Heather, are exes.


“That’s how I’d put our relationship, really good friends,” Thomas assessed.


“She’s happy,” he added, “and I’m happy.”

Thomas Ravenel on Bravo


Thomas did divulge that he never personally informed Kathryn, his ex and of course the mother of his first two children, the news.


Instead, he confirmed, he allowed his attorney to ferry the news to Kathryn just three months ago.


If he is accurately portraying the timeline, that means that we here at THG reported the news before Kathryn had been informed. Oops.

Thomas Ravenel, Pinky Ring


“Yes, we had a beautiful baby boy,” Heather confirmed in a post of her own on her private Instagram.


She revealed her, Thomas, and baby Jackson in the delivery room.


She shared that they will be calling him by his middle name. It’s a good name.

Heather Mascoe


“Jonathan Jackson Ravenel aka Jackson,” she confirmed.


“He’s beautiful and a good baby,” Heather gushed.


Despite being exes with Ravenel, she added: “We feel very blessed.”

Thomas Ravenel at the Reunion


Thomas is a controversial figure for many reasons, not the least of which being his alarming criminal record.


He was arrested following allegations of a sexual assault against his family’s former nanny.


Ultimately, he entered a plea of guilty for the attack after striking a deal in which he would serve no time.

Thomas Ravenel Mug Shot


Additionally, Thomas’ alarming behavior was off-putting to his Southern Charm castmates.


This included his alleged friends, who witnessed his “dark side” on multiple occassions.


A rude man happy to share his abhorrent opinions on social media to anyone who will listen, Thomas is a divisive — at best — figure.


But, you know, congratulations and all that.



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Huawei blocked: Tech must be stripped from UK’s 5G network by 2027 | Politics News

Published

on

By

Boris Johnson has ordered all Huawei technology to be stripped out of the UK’s 5G network by 2027.

In a major U-turn, the prime minister also banned the purchase of any new 5G equipment from the Chinese tech giant from the end of this year.

The government acknowledged the move would delay the roll-out of 5G in the UK by two to three years and increase costs by up to £2bn.

A pedestrian walks past a Huawei product stand at an EE telecommunications shop in central London on April 29, 2019. - British Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt has urged caution over the role of China's Huawei in the UK, saying the government should think carefully before opening its doors to the technology giant to develop next-generation 5G mobile networks. His comments come after Prime Minister Theresa May conditionally allowed China's Huawei to build the UK 5G network, information that was leaked to a newspaper from top secret discussions between senior ministers and security officials, a leak that has caused a scandal that has rocked Britain's splintered government. (Photo by Tolga Akmen / AFP)        (Photo credit should read TOLGA AKMEN/AFP via Getty Images)
Image:
Huawei is accused of having close links to the Chinese government

Acting on the advice of the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC), Mr Johnson has accepted new US sanctions on Huawei are a “game changer” in relation to the impact of the firm’s technology on the UK’s national security.

Downing Street had previously allowed Huawei to have a role in the UK’s 5G infrastructure – a decision that came little more than six months ago.

Mr Johnson and senior ministers agreed to the removal of Huawei technology within the next seven years at a meeting of the National Security Council (NSC) in Downing Street on Tuesday morning.

Sky News’s defence and security correspondent Alistair Bunkall said there were some “tense exchanges” during the NSC meeting.

An existing ban on Huawei’s involvement in the most sensitive parts of the UK’s 5G networks – announced in January when the prime minister previously gave the go-ahead for the firm to build mobile infrastructure – remains in place.

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden confirmed Tuesday’s further action on Huawei in a statement to the House of Commons, as he announced the measures would be put into law by a forthcoming Telecoms Security Bill.

He told MPs: “By the time of the next election we will have implemented in law an irreversible path for the complete removal of Huawei equipment from our 5G networks.

“We have not taken this decision lightly and I must be frank about the decision’s consequences for every constituency in this country; this will delay our roll-out of 5G.”

Prime Minister Boris Johnson departs 10 Downing Street, in Westminster, London, to attend Prime Minister's Questions at the Houses of Parliament.
Image:
Boris Johnson made the decision on the advice of the National Cyber Security Centre

Mr Dowden said the measures introduced both in January and on Tuesday would cause a cumulative delay to the roll-out of 5G in the UK of two to three years and increase costs by up to £2bn.

Critics have long alleged Huawei has close links to the Chinese government and its equipment could be used for espionage purposes – something the company has always denied.

Huawei describes itself as a private company “fully owned by its employees”.

In January, Mr Johnson confirmed Huawei would be able to build “non-core” parts of the UK’s 5G network, but with a series of conditions attached to the company’s involvement.

This included capping Huawei’s market share at 35% and blocking it from involvement in the most sensitive areas of the network.

US President Donald Trump sits with his arms crossed during a roundtable discussion on the Safe Reopening of Americas Schools during the coronavirus pandemic, in the East Room of the White House on July 7, 2020, in Washington, DC. (Photo by JIM WATSON / AFP) (Photo by JIM WATSON/AFP via Getty Images)
Image:
Donald Trump was said to have been angry about the UK’s original plan to allow Huawei into its 5G network

The prime minister’s decision angered US President Donald Trump – who was reported to have been “apoplectic” with Mr Johnson in a telephone call.

In May, the US placed more sanctions on Huawei to block the firm from using computer chips based on American designs in any of its equipment.

This led to fears the company could begin to use “untrusted” replacement technologies – and prompted the NCSC’s review of January’s decision.

They are understood to have concluded there were no alternative products on the market for which the UK could have confidence in.

:: Listen to The World Tomorrow on Apple podcasts, Spotify, and Spreaker

The NCSC had “significantly changed their security assessment” of Huawei’s presence in the UK’s 5G network in the wake of the US sanctions, Mr Dowden told MPs.

He added: “Given the uncertainty that this creates around Huawei’s supply chain, the UK can no longer be confident it will be able to guarantee the security of future Huawei 5G equipment affected by the change in US foreign direct-product rules.”

Chi Onwurah, Labour’s shadow digital, science and technology minister, branded the government’s approach “incomprehensibly negligent”.

She told MPs: “It has been clear for some time that there are serious questions over whether Huawei should be allowed to control large sections of our country’s telecoms networks, yet the government refused to face reality.

“Their approach to our 5G capability, Huawei and our national security has been incomprehensibly negligent.”



5g explained



Explained: Why 5G and Huawei matter

Responding to the government’s announcement, Huawei UK spokesperson Ed Brewster said: “This disappointing decision is bad news for anyone in the UK with a mobile phone.

“It threatens to move Britain into the digital slow lane, push up bills and deepen the digital divide.

“Instead of ‘levelling up’ the government is levelling down and we urge them to reconsider.

“We remain confident that the new US restrictions would not have affected the resilience or security of the products we supply to the UK.

“Regrettably our future in the UK has become politicised, this is about US trade policy and not security.”

Mr Brewster said Huawei would conduct a “detailed review” of what Tuesday’s decision means for the firm’s involvement in the UK.



Tony Blair says the West's relationship with China is 'biggest geopolitical challenge of 21st century'



China relationship ‘extremely troubling’

In recent months, an increasing number of Conservative MPs had spoken out about Huawei’s involvement in the UK, which piled pressure on Mr Johnson to reverse January’s decision.

Dissent on the Tory benches in the House of Commons had also grown amid wider concerns about China, including Beijing’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, its imposition of a new security law on Hong Kong, and its treatment of Uighur Muslims in detention camps.

In March, 38 Tory MPs rebelled against the government in a Commons vote over Huawei’s 5G role.

On Tuesday morning, ahead of the NSC meeting, former Conservative leader Sir Iain Duncan Smith told Sky News that “you can’t separate” Chinese firms and the Chinese government.

“Across the free world, more and more countries are now recognising that they face a particular threat now from Chinese government intentions,” he said.

Following the government’s announcement, Sir Iain later said the UK could strip out Huawei technology from 5G infrastructure sooner than 2027 and called for the deadline to be shortened to five years.

Iain Duncan Smith warned the UK needs to urgently look at its relationship with China
Image:
Iain Duncan Smith has warned the UK needs to urgently look at its relationship with China

Tom Tugendhat, who chairs the Commons’ Foreign Affairs committee and the China Research Group of Tory MPs, hailed “a major victory for parliament”.

“Huawei’s position in the UK’s phone networks is now in reverse and our future prosperity will not be tied to a company linked to [the] Chinese state,” he said.

“There’s no point in taking back control from Brussels only to hand it over to Beijing.”

However, Mr Tugendhat called for “more details” and “more speed” on the government’s action.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending