Connect with us

Jobs

Students to get help from government, Trudeau says as slow summer job market looms

Published

on

TORONTO —
Not all out-of-work Canadians qualify for the new Canadian Emergency Response Benefit, and post-secondary students appear to be disproportionately likely to fall through the cracks of this new addition to Canada’s social safety net.

To be eligible to receive the benefit, applicants must have earned at least $5,000 in the past 12 months or in 2019 as a whole, and must be out of work for reasons directly related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

While many Canadians who have lost their jobs in the last few weeks easily meet both criteria, that’s not necessarily the case for college and university students.

Some work only casual, part-time jobs that pay less than $5,000 over the course of a year. Others only work during summer, when classes are out – meaning they haven’t lost their job due to the pandemic, but it will be difficult for them to find work in a largely locked-down country once their summer begins.

Some schools have already moved toward offering financial assistance to students who are otherwise at risk of dropping out. Prime Minster Justin Trudeau suggested Sunday that some sort of government support will be made available as well.

“We know that we need to do more for young people as they come out of university and look for projects and ways of securing income this summer,” he said at a press briefing outside his home, where he remains in self-isolation.

“This is an issue that we are very, very aware of.”

Trudeau said the government “should have more to say in the coming days” about how it will help students and suggested that its aid could take the form of direct financial support or changes to the Canada Summer Jobs program, which helps Canadians between the ages of 15 and 30 find seasonal work.

The prime minister also suggested that students might want to consider spending their summer working on a farm or in a fishery.

Asked about the challenges of bringing temporary foreign workers into the country to work in the agricultural industry and keeping the virus from spreading in their workplaces, Trudeau noted that migrant workers are subject to quarantine upon entering the country and have a long-standing role in the sector.

“At the same time, we see many, many Canadians who are out of work [and] wanting to help out – students who are looking at opportunities for summer jobs that they might not otherwise have,” he said.

“We know there are many people interested in helping out in terms of feeding the country.”

Trudeau says the government would also make announcements “in the coming days and weeks” about specific support for fishers and agricultural producers.

Source link

Jobs

Delhi govt will soon announce plans to generate jobs: Official

Published

on

By

By: PTI | New Delhi |

Updated: June 2, 2020 11:32:09 am


Coronavirus, Coronavirus latest updates, Coronavirus lockdown, Coronavirus new delhi, Coronavirus delhi news, arvind kejriwal, nizamuddin, tablighi jamaat, markaz, indian express, Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal (File Photo)

The Delhi government will launch a special programme later this week to bring together job seekers and prospective employers in the city to generate more employment opportunities in wake of the coronavirus lockdown, an official said on Monday.

According to the official, the AAP government will soon come out with a slew of reforms to revive the national capital’s economy which has been adversely affected due to the coronavirus lockdown which has been in place for more than two months.

Last month, Lt Governor Anil Baijal had written to Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, suggesting him to constitute a panel headed by the industries commissioner to comprehensively analyse and introduce measures to help people and businesses in “these tough times”, with special focus on the protection of interests of labours.

Read | Sectors that will continue hiring during the economic crisis

“Most migrant workers have moved out of Delhi. Also, several people have lost their jobs due to Covid-19-forced lockdown. In view of this, the government will launch a web portal through which companies looking to hire and job seekers can register themselves for their requirements,” said official.

The official said that the portal is expected to be launched later this week.

“The move will provide job opportunities as companies will also need people to restart their business as the government has started lifting curbs in a phased manner,” official also said.

Last month, Baijal had also asked Delhi Development Authority to use planning tools to stimulate the business environment by attracting investments and focusing on sectoral revival.

“Dwarka, Narela and Rohini sub-cities can be revamped with focus on attracting investment in commercial, IT, and educational sectors through meticulous planning with special focus on vacant land pieces as low hanging fruits,” the LG had asked DDA.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Jobs News, download Indian Express App.

Source link

Continue Reading

Jobs

Spitting chips over European threat to Tasmanian jobs | Port Macquarie News

Published

on

By

news, national, AMWU, rally, French Fries, dumping, McCain, Ballarat

North-West Tasmanian workers and farmers are set to rally and urge the federal government to stop a potential flood of European chips they fear could cost many local jobs. Fears are building heavily subsidised potato chips not needed in Europe because of the coronavirus lockdown will flood or be dumped into the Australian market, undercutting Australian product. “We are saying it’s an inferior and cheaper product that puts Australian jobs and manufacturing at risk,” Australian Manufacturing Workers’ Union organiser Mike Wickham said. The union-organised rally will be at the McCain chip factory at Smithton at 11am on Friday, with another at the same time at McCain in Ballarat. Mr Wickham said the union was looking to have workers, farmers, truck drivers and community members involved. When asked if the union was pushing protectionism and opposing lower prices, he said: “Some might say that, but coming out of this pandemic, the push to build local, buy local and employ local is very high on everybody’s agenda.” “What we are doing is getting out to the (federal) government that they need to oppose the dumping of European fries into the Australian market. “The dumping of those lesser quality and below average weight fries potentially puts at risk the employment of local manufacturers and their employees.” He said the dumping – or flooding if it did not meet the legal definition of dumping – was not confirmed, but “it looks like that is what they want to occur”. Tasmanian potato growers and AUSVEG have also expressed concern. AUSVEG said it, with support of processors McCain Foods and Simplot, wrote to Prime Minister Scott Morrison and other MPs and ministers raising concerns. “AUSVEG has, and is continuing to, investigate processes via the Anti-Dumping Commission and the International Trade Remedies Advisory Service as avenues to address this issue,” it said. While you’re with us, did you know that you can now sign up to receive breaking news updates and daily headlines direct to your inbox? Sign up here.

https://nnimgt-a.akamaihd.net/transform/v1/crop/frm/f35ndb3GgpgdJDz6gtVeqN/16cb90b3-3c3c-4f2b-b699-9ff5dbb8ae02.JPG/r15_321_6001_3703_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg



Source link

Continue Reading

Jobs

PTTGCA announces new timeline for ethane cracker | News, Sports, Jobs

Published

on

By


DILLES BOTTOM — PTT Global Chemical America, one of two companies considering construction of an ethane cracker plant in Belmont County, announced a new timeline for the project Monday.

Working with Daelim Chemical USA, PTTGCA has acquired property and done site preparation work along the Ohio River shut of Shadyside. The companies have not yet announced a final commitment to the plan.

PTTGCA on Monday reiterated its commitment to a world-scale petrochemical complex in Ohio, unveiling an anticipated timeline of six to nine months for a final investment decision. It released a statement noting that in the wake of a global pandemic, all companies, including PTTGCA, have been prioritizing the health and safety of employees and all stakeholders, focusing on business continuity, and taking prudent steps to navigate new challenges.

Even with these challenges, PTTGCA is still progressing with the project and at no point put the project on indefinite hold.

“We continue to be grateful for the support and encouragement we receive from this community and all our local, state and federal partners,” said PTTGCA President and CEO Toasaporn Boonyapipat. “While the pandemic has prevented us from moving as quickly as we would like within our previous timeline, our best estimate is for a final investment decision by the end of this year or in the first quarter of next year.”

Today’s breaking news and more in your inbox





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending