Connect with us

Business

Princess cruise passenger dies of coronavirus, ship heads for San Francisco

Published

on

A coronavirus patient who had recently traveled on the Grand Princess cruise ship has died in California, the state confirmed, and the ship is now headed for San Francisco.

The Grand Princess is expected to arrive near the city on Thursday afternoon. California Gov. Gavin Newsom said in a press conference on Wednesday afternoon that the ship will be held off the coast. He also declared a state of emergency for California.

Princess Cruises on Wednesday announced that it was canceling plans to dock in Ensenada, Mexico, as scheduled out of an “abundance of caution,” and will arrive early in San Francisco instead. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is investigating a “small cluster” of cases connected to the ship, according to a statement that the company, Princess Cruises, sent to passengers on Wednesday.

Some passengers currently on board have started to show symptoms, Newsom said.

The Grand Princess is from the same line as the Diamond Princess, which hosted one of the largest outbreaks of the new coronavirus outside China. More than 700 people who were on board the Diamond Princess tested positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by the new virus. The ship sat in the port of Yokohama, Japan, for weeks as the local government placed everyone on board under quarantine.

“The CDC is continuing to actively collect information and has set up a meeting with us this morning to determine what, if any, actions need to be taken during this cruise and on arrival in San Francisco,” the cruise line said on Wednesday. “We have shared essential travel and health data with the CDC to facilitate their standard notification to the State and County health authorities to follow up with individuals who may have been exposed to people who became ill.”

It added: “We anticipate that further review of the situation will be necessary on arrival in San Francisco.”

Some passengers are ‘under care for respiratory illness’

The patient who died of the coronavirus in California was on the Grand Princess from February 11 to 21. At least one other confirmed coronavirus case in California — a person in Sonoma County — was on the cruise at the same time as the patient who died.

Some passengers still on board were also on that trip.

Newsom said the Grand Princess will not initially be allowed to dock in the port of San Francisco. Instead, the US Coast Guard will fly coronavirus test kits out to the ship on helicopters Thursday morning, according to an update that Princess Cruises posted on Wednesday evening.

Coast Guard MH-65 Dolphin helicopter Miami

Coast Guard Lt. Nathan White beside an MH-65 Dolphin helicopter at Air Station Miami in Opa Lacka, Florida, November 15, 2018.

Christopher Woody/Business Insider


The ship’s medical team will administer the tests, and helicopters will return them to a lab in Richmond, California, the update said. The cruise line added that fewer than 100 passengers and crew members had been identified for testing, and they have been asked not to leave their cabins.

That includes guests who are “currently under care for respiratory illness,” the company said, along with passengers and crew members showing symptoms, and all passengers who were on the previous voyage.

It is not yet clear whether other passengers — those not on the previous voyage — were also asked to stay in their rooms.

Newsom said state authorities are following up with the other passengers who were on the previous voyage but left when that cruise ended.

Next steps for the Grand Princess are not yet clear

diamond princess hello family.JPG

Family members of passengers onboard the cruise ship Diamond Princess, wave and talk to them on the phone at Daikoku Pier Cruise Terminal in Yokohama, Japan, February 11, 2020.

Reuters/Issei Kato


Experts have criticized the way Japan’s government quarantined Diamond Princess passengers and crew on that ship. Some have said that keeping people on the ship may have helped the virus spread among them.

“I admit, our isolation policy was not perfect,” Shigeru Omi, a health adviser to the Japanese government, said at a press conference on February 24. “No place is perfect except in a hospital.”

It is not yet known what the CDC plans to do if more people on the Grand Princess test positive for COVID-19. The CDC did not immediately respond to a request for comment, nor did Princess Cruises.

“We are closely recording and monitoring all persons who have reported to the medical center with cold and flu symptoms during the voyage. As a precaution, we are also conducting additional enhanced environmental disinfection onboard in addition to our regular stringent cleaning and sanitation protocols,” Princess Cruises said in its statement to passengers.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Do you work for Princess Cruises? Are you on the Grand Princess? Contact this reporter at mmcfalljohnsen@businessinsider.com. You can also reach out on Signal at 646-768-4730.

Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Some businesses better off staying closed: Chamber president – BC News

Published

on

By

Some businesses could be better off staying closed than risk re-opening during the second phase of the B.C.’s government’s plan to safely and gradually re-open the economy, according to Val Litwin, president and CEO, BC Chamber of Commerce.

“This crisis isn’t over for BC businesses. You can go out of business much faster with a partial or failed reopen than you can a temporary closure,” Litwin said. “Policy-makers must appreciate that business models will be very fragile during this early stage of the recovery cycle and that ongoing supports will be essential.”

Only 26 per cent of businesses impacted by COVID-19 feel able to restart and operate profitably with the gradual easing of restrictions, according to a survey of 1,343 member-businesses of the BC Chamber of Commerce, Greater Vancouver Board of Trade, Business Council of British Columbia, and other partners. 

The survey, conducted with the Mustel Group, was released May 22.

Given the challenges to restarting operations, over half of the members surveyed (55 per cent) expect it will take at least two months to restart.

The survey also found that 43 per cent of  businesses expect that they will still require significant and additional financial support or incentives from the provincial and federal government in order to continue operating. 

One of the challenges for business tenants is paying the rent.

The survey found that 26 per cent of commercial tenants were unable to pay their rent in full in April. The primary reason is that they were shut down and had no revenue (75 per cent). Others had no access to the federal Commercial Rental Assistance ( 30 per cent), while 19 per cent said they could not come to terms with their landlord.

In terms of businesses that have closed temporarily, the level is slightly higher in urban markets (50 per cent) than in rural (42 per cent), with the incidence highest in healthcare and social assistance; arts and entertainment; and accommodation and food services, all above 68 per cent.

Among retail establishments, 58 per cent will remain closed, at least temporarily. 

“The survey data shows virtually all respondents continue to experience lost revenue as a result of COVID-19 and restart efforts will be hampered by an inability to attract new and returning customers. We are facing the worst year for B.C.’s economy and job market in a century,” said Greg D’Avignon, president & CEO of the Business Council of British Columbia. He called on governments to “expedite economic activity and address competitiveness barriers in the form of tax, regulatory and process costs that stand in the way of businesses re-hiring the nearly 400,000 employees who’ve lost their jobs.”

Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Brunswick business put on ice due to work permit rule

Published

on

By

BRUNSWICK, Ohio — When COVID-19 was declared a worldwide pandemic in mid-March, Brunswick resident Celeste Compola watched subsequent school and business closures with the somewhat heightened anxiety of all small business owners.

“When (Gov. Mike DeWine) announced the essential businesses and was asking food trucks to help at rest areas, I thought, ‘Cool, I’m a food truck,’” said Compola, owner of Celeste’s Tasty Treats Food Truck, an ice cream business she started three years ago after working for another company for two years.

Working in her hometown during the summer of 2020, however, has proved more complicated that Compola could have imagined.

As has been the case for the past two seasons, Compola received her approval from the Medina County Health Department and applied for a vendor’s permit in Brunswick in April.

“But when I dropped (the vendor’s permit application) off at the police department, I was told no,” she said.

In an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19, the city has temporarily suspended the issuing of permits to door-to-door solicitors. As it turns out, ice cream trucks are categorized as door-to-door solicitors in Brunswick.

“It wasn’t until coronavirus that this was brought to anyone’s attention,” Compola said. “Of all the ways I thought I would be affected by COVID, I never thought it would be this.”

Revisiting business designation

While the issue is being addressed by the city, a resolution is not expected before the next City Council meeting on June 8 — meaning the last few months is time Compola will not be able to recover, even though she has been permitted to operate in surrounding communities.

At a May 19 Economic Development Committee meeting, City Councilman Joe Delsanter said that while there are additional precautions that need to be taken with a business that predominately serves children — such as an ice cream truck — the business itself is essentially a food truck, in his opinion.

“At Honey Hut, you might have 40 cars wrapped around (the building),” Delsanter said. “The only difference here is that the vendor is coming through the neighborhood.”

Economic Development Committee chairman Councilman Nick Hanek moved to have the city law department further review the ice cream truck designation, for possible legislation as soon as the June 8 council meeting.

The committee agreed with Hanek’s motion, but Delsanter said he hopes Celeste’s Tasty Treats’ dilemma can be resolved without the need to “write a law,” due in part to the seasonal nature of the business and the time and money Compola has already lost.

Councilman Anthony Capretta echoed these sentiments in an interview last week with the Brunswick Sun.

“This is an exception to the rule,” Capretta said. “We are stopping treats for kids because of this COVID thing. If (City Manager Carl DeForest) isn’t going to put his name on (the permit), I’ll put my name on it. We will keep fighting until this lady gets her permit.”

Emotional toll

Compola said Brunswick makes up about 75 percent of her customer base. But the emotional strain of the permit denial, she said, has had at least as much of an impact as the financial loss.

“I will make a full recovery,” she said. “This community and I have really clicked. But I live here, and I can’t even drive out of town to do a private party, or park the truck in my driveway, without breaking a bunch of hearts.

“The kids don’t understand (why Compola is not permitted to stop). It’s had an effect on an emotional level. Yeah, it has really affected me.”

Read more news from the Brunswick Sun.

Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Commercial rent relief program opens but businesses say it will help few

Published

on

By

Commercial landlords can begin applying for a government rent relief program on Monday, but struggling businesses say it will benefit few of them.

The Canada emergency commercial rent assistance (CECRA) program aims to reduce the rent owed by small business tenants by 75 per cent for April, May and June.

Applications are staggered depending on the province where the property owner is located and the number of tenants, beginning Monday with those in Atlantic Canada, British Columbia, Alberta and Quebec, with up to 10 tenants who are eligible for the program.

The rent relief plan, funded jointly with the provinces, provides non-repayable loans to commercial property owners to cover 50 per cent of the monthly cost.

The loans will be forgiven if the property owner agrees to cut the rent by at least 75 per cent for those months and promises not to evict the tenant. The small business tenant must cover the remaining portion of the rent, which would be up to 25 per cent.

To qualify, small business tenants must pay less than $50,000 a month in rent. They also must have experienced a revenue decline of at least 70 per cent from pre-COVID-19 levels or they must have been forced to close down because of pandemic restrictions. Non-profit and charitable organizations are also eligible.

Businesses fear eviction

The Canadian Federation of Independent Business says many small businesses won’t be able to make June rent without more assistance. Through a survey of its members, the organization found that most commercial tenants don’t think they will qualify and don’t think their landlord will participate.

With many fearing eviction, they’re calling on the government to provide direct access to the government portion of the program.

The Canadian Chamber of Commerce announced Monday it is launching a small business relief fund supported by software company Salesforce. It will give 62 small businesses $10,000 grants to pay salaries, buy personal protective equipment, replenish materials or adapt business models to deal with COVID-19.

Applicants that best demonstrate how the funds will help the business, their employees and their communities with economic recovery efforts will get the funding.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending