Connect with us

Sports

Council approves changes in senior center building | News, Sports, Jobs

Published

on

ISHPEMING — A fire suppression system will be included in the Ishpeming Senior Center facility currently under construction on Greenwood Street.

After some discussion on Wednesday, the council unanimously approved the $48,000 project to install a wet pipe fire sprinkler system in the structure. The unbudgeted cost will be funded, in part, with a $26,000 annual net asset distribution from the Michigan Municipal Risk Management Authority. The remaining $22,000 would be funded with $21,000 in previously budgeted site-plan-review funds and up to $1,000 from the city’s general fund balance.

The initial classification on the building permit for the structure did not require the fire suppression system to be installed, Ishpeming City Manager Craig Cugini said, which accounts for the unplanned but necessary expense.

“There is no requirement by permit, they could actually occupy that building without a fire suppression system,” Cugini said. “(But) the city owns the facility… and I personally would have concerns that a senior center that the city owns would not have a fire suppression system.”

Mayor Mike Tonkin said he understood the need for the system, but questioned the need for city dollars to fund it.

“I remember going into this, the city was not going to invest city money in the project,” Tonkin said. “We had to make major cutbacks to make this happen. So hopefully the senior people realize, that as the people who started this, that they were going to be responsible for … anything else that pops up.”

Tonkin also expressed concern about adding an expense so early in the project.

“I don’t see a problem with this, but this project has just started, what else is coming down the road?” he said.

Cugini said the fire suppression system is the only added expense that has been found in preparation for the construction project.

“That’s (the fire suppression system is) the only thing that came out of the site plan review that seemed like a miss. I think so far we are on a positive track with the senior center, not a negative track,” Cugini said. “I have seen very quickly things can turn negative on a project. They were planning to connect to the sewer system, which we thought ended in the road. But we found out it was not in the road right of way, which means we do not have to dig into the road and repave the road.”

The city plans to apply for a Risk Avoidance Program grant from MMRMA to offset the cost of the fire suppression system installation, according to agenda supplements provided by city staff.

The construction project will be funded by a $1.9 million Community Development Block Grant administrated by the Michigan Strategic Fund and the Michigan Economic Development Corporation, which was awarded to the city in May.

The 10% match will be provided by the Ishpeming Area Commission on the Aging. The city will own the new structure and lease it to the organization for $1 per year.

The project cost includes demolishing the former senior center facility at 320 S. Pine St., which was condemned in September. The senior center has been leasing space in the Phelps Square on Third Street since moving from the old facility.

Today’s breaking news and more in your inbox





Source link

Sports

Clemson QB Lawrence: ‘I Have the Option’ to Leave or Stay | Sports News

Published

on

By

By PETE IACOBELLI, AP Sports Writer

Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence is leaving the door open about his football future despite previously saying he planned on heading to the NFL following this his junior season.

Lawrence, the 6-foot-6 passer with the flowing hair, is considered the likely consensus No. 1 pick in next spring’s NFL draft.

But on Tuesday, Lawrence said he hasn’t ruled out returning to Clemson for another year instead of going pro.

“My mindset has been that I’m going to move on,” Lawrence said. “But who knows? There’s a lot of things that could happen.”

At the forefront could be which NFL team is in line to draft Lawrence. Right now, that’s the offensively challenged New York Jets, who are 0-7 and the league’s only winless team.

Lawrence, from Cartersville, Georgia, has a 31-1 record as a starting college quarterback and has the top-ranked Tigers (6-0) in line for a sixth consecutive ACC title and trip to the College Football Playoff.

Lawrence is scheduled to graduate with a bachelor’s degree in marketing in December.

Lawrence believes there’s a plan for him, “no matter where I go, whether that’s across the country or whether it’s close to home, whether I stay another year, we’ll work it out,” he said.

More AP college football: https://apnews.com/Collegefootball and https://twitter.com/AP_Top25

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Lando Norris apologises for ‘stupid’ comments about F1 rivals

Published

on

By

“I’m not that kind of person, so know I should apologise to them but also everyone reading/listening. Sorry.”

Last Updated: 27/10/20 11:55am

Lando Norris has issued an apology over recent comments in interviews he admits were “stupid and careless” and that did not show “the respect I should have to certain people”.

Although the McLaren driver did not refer to which specific comments he was referring, they are likely to have been ones about Lance Stroll and Lewis Hamilton made after Sunday’s Portuguese GP.

A frustrated Norris was heavily critical of Stroll in the immediate aftermath of the race about the lap-17 collision between the two drivers, which earned his Racing Point rival a five-second time penalty from stewards. He claimed that Stroll “doesn’t learn from anything he does”.

In another interview, Norris also seemed to play down Hamilton’s achievement of winning a record 92 races by saying that while he was happy for his countryman “he’s in a car which should win every race, basically. He has to beat one or two other drivers, that’s it”.

But in an apology issued on Twitter on Tuesday, Norris wrote: “I’ve been stupid and careless with some things I’ve said lately in media and interviews, and haven’t shown the respect I should have to certain people.

“I’m not that kind of person, so know I should apologise to them but also everyone reading/listening. Sorry.”

1:41
Lanco Stroll went wheel-to-wheel with Lando Norris over seventh place, the two made contact during the Portuguese GP.

Lanco Stroll went wheel-to-wheel with Lando Norris over seventh place, the two made contact during the Portuguese GP.

Norris finished outside the points at Portimao after being forced to pit for repairs after the Turn-One clash with Stroll amid a fight for seventh place, having run as high as four in the early stages after both McLarens made storming starts.

The 20-year-old, who was forced out of the previous race when running well at the Nurburgring due to power unit problems, is on a run of three grands prix without points and lost ground in the multi-driver fight for fourth in the championship.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Can I celebrate Halloween during the pandemic? | NanaimoNewsNOW

Published

on

By

“There are lots of creative ways to approach this and make this year memorable,” said Dr. Colleen S. Kraft, who specializes in infectious diseases at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta.

If you’re venturing out, experts say to keep a 6-foot distance from others and sanitize hands regularly as you normally would.

Protective face coverings — plastic costume masks don’t count — should also be a part of every Halloween get-up, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Some cities have discouraged or even banned door-to-door trick-or-treating. In places where it’s allowed, there are ways to make it safer.

Various devices such as plastic grabbers can help you hand out candy without any physical contact, says Dr. Nipunie Rajapakse, a pediatric specialist at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.

Marking 6-foot spacing on sidewalks and driveways with duct tape or chalk can also discourage people from gathering at the front door.

Those with any COVID-19 symptoms, known exposures to the virus or pending tests results should stay home, according to the CDC. And experts say to avoid indoor parties and haunted houses since a lack of ventilation could make it easier for the virus to spread.

As Michigan health officials put it: “The only thing scary about Halloween should be the costumes.”

___

The AP is answering your questions about the coronavirus in this series. Submit them at: FactCheck@AP.org.

Read previous Viral Questions:

What do we know about superspreader events in the pandemic?

Does the coronavirus spread easily among children?

What are the rules on masks in schools?

The Associated Press

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending