Connect with us

Jobs

Canada to recruit volunteers, offer jobs to reservists amid COVID-19: Trudeau – National

Published

on

Canada has put a call out for volunteers to support frontline healthcare workers and is offering full-time jobs to Canadian Forces reservists, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced during an update to the country’s coronavirus response on Sunday.

“For those of you with specialized skills looking to help our frontline workers, we do want to hear from you,” said Trudeau, who spoke to reporters from Rideau Cottage where he is self-isolating.


READ MORE:
Coronavirus: Canada to receive ‘millions’ of masks from China, Trudeau says

According to the prime minister, Health Canada will be building “an inventory of specialized work volunteers” that provinces and territories can draw on, and that some of the work may include tracking COVID-19 cases and tracing contacts.

Trudeau also said that reservists in the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) would also be offered full-time jobs over the coming months, with the same pay and benefits as regular enlisted members.

Story continues below advertisement

“Bolstering the military’s ranks will help offset some of the economic consequences of COVID-19 and ensure that our communities are well-supported,” Trudeau said.

The CAF said Canada has 36,381 reservists‬, which includes reserve members and Rangers, as of March 30. An additional 67,492 members made up the rest of Canada’s military forces.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Volunteer applications will be open until at least April 24, while reservists across the country are going to be contacted directly by the Canadian government.

Trudeau also announced details for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), which offers Canadians who’ve lost their jobs over the COVID-19 pandemic cash payments of $2,000 a month.






Coronavirus outbreak: Should the U.S. think twice about blocking order of medical masks to Canada?


Coronavirus outbreak: Should the U.S. think twice about blocking order of medical masks to Canada?

Applications will be accepted starting Monday, and the money will take three to five days to arrive via direct deposit or 10 days by mail.

Story continues below advertisement

Last week, the federal government announced that at least 2.1 million Canadians who have applied for employment insurance benefits since March 15 will be moved to the CERB, potentially increasing payouts for some EI recipients, or reducing it for those receiving the maximum insurance amount — $573 — to $500 weekly.

On Saturday, Trudeau announced “millions” of medical masks would be arriving in Canada from China within 48 hours.

Ottawa is expecting between seven and eight million surgical masks. Included in that order are supplies for hard-hit Quebec.

Canada has also leased a warehouse in China to collect and distribute additional supplies “as quickly as possible,” he said.

According to Trudeau, officials are working “day and night” to secure additional, desperately needed personal protective equipment (PPE) for frontline workers.






Coronavirus outbreak: Trudeau says he’s not sure if schools will reopen before summer


Coronavirus outbreak: Trudeau says he’s not sure if schools will reopen before summer

And, while Canada continues to source the PPE from international suppliers, Trudeau said the government is also working with domestic manufacturers.

The prime minister’s comments came a day after U.S. President Donald Trump asked Minnesota-based company 3M to stop exporting N95 masks to Canada.

Asked about the move, Trudeau said the dialogue was ongoing with U.S. officials, and that he planned to speak with Trump.

Story continues below advertisement






Trudeau won’t retaliate over Trump’s order to ban N95 mask exports to Canada


Trudeau won’t retaliate over Trump’s order to ban N95 mask exports to Canada

“We are continuing to engage in constructive discussions with different levels within the administration to highlight that the U.S. will be hurting itself as much as Canada will be hurting if we see an interruption of essential goods and services flow back and forth across the border,” he said. “We continue to demonstrate that this is a good thing for both of our countries and we look to continue to ensure that essential supplies get across the border.”

Trudeau said, though, that Canada was not planning any retaliatory measures against the U.S.


READ MORE:
Canada not looking to retaliate after U.S. restricts coronavirus mask exports: Trudeau

According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, by 5 p.m. ET on Saturday, more than 13,800 cases of COVID-19 had been confirmed in Canada.

Speaking at a press conference on Saturday, Canada’s chief medical officer, Dr. Theresa Tam said currently Canada’s healthcare system is not overwhelmed by serious cases of COVID-19, but cautioned that the situation could change at any time.

Tam urged Canadians to continue practising physical distancing, and to heed the advice of medical authorities.


© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.





Source link

Jobs

Harbaugh has two years left | News, Sports, Jobs

Published

on

By

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — Usually, college football coaches at major programs have many years on their contract that helps them persuade recruits to sign with the school.

Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh enters his sixth season as coach with just two years left on his deal that pays him about $7 million per season, adding another layer of interest to the 18th-ranked Wolverines as they kick off the season this week at No. 21 Minnesota.

Harbaugh said in July that he was closing in on a contract extension earlier this year before dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic became a top priority for him and the school.

Harbaugh was on a Zoom call with reporters on Monday, for the first time in three-plus months, and said there was no update on contract talks.

What his message to recruits, who may hear other coaches question Harbaugh’s commitment to the school or vice versa?

“Go Blue,” Harbaugh said.

Michigan linebacker James Ross got to know Harbaugh when his brother, James, played linebacker for him in 2015 and his first impression of him has not changed over the years.

“Coach Harbaugh was a very passionate guy, very motivated guy,” Ross said. “He rallies all of us together as one. I love that guy and I’m glad he’s in my head coach.”

Harbaugh is 47-18 overall with the Wolverines and 32-12 in the Big Ten, including an 0-5 record against the Buckeyes. Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel has said repeatedly that he wants Harbaugh to lead the Wolverines until he chooses to retire from coaching.

Harbaugh did not appear to be pleased that the school he works for was among the Big Ten institutions that were in favor initially of punting football season to early 2021.

The Big Ten reversed its decision in mid-September less than five weeks after the conference announced it would push football and other fall sports to spring.

Harbaugh was an outspoken advocate for playing this year despite the pandemic. He pointed to protocols that have kept players and staff safe along with the fact that the young men on his team have been training for years to compete in 2020.

“They’ve put themselves in a position to have their chance, have their opportunity, to show what they can do and that’s the biggest thing I’m excited about,” he said. “There’s challenges, but the opportunity is the thing that means the most.”

Harbaugh said the program has had some positive COVID-19 tests over the last month, but that everyone had negative results as of Monday.

While Harbaugh said quarterback Joe Milton has been practicing with the first-string offense, he said it is difficult to name starters due to testing. He said players have to have negative tests Friday to travel with the team and again on Saturday to play that evening against the Golden Gophers.

Today’s breaking news and more in your inbox





Source link

Continue Reading

Jobs

Australia cuts jobs, overhauls migration plan | India News

Published

on

By

In what could upset the plans of Indians seeking greener pastures, Australia has drastically restructured its migration planning programme for 2020-21 in the wake of the pandemic, reports Uttara Varma.
Under the migration programme, jobs for overseas people have been cut drastically as the government wants to offer more jobs for native Australians.
The programme envisages priority to certain professions like IT and healthcare over others like in the US. This year, only 79,600 placements have been allocated under the skill stream, a fall from 1,08,682 placements allocated in 2019-20. Skilled independent visas, which allow outsiders to settle and work anywhere in the country, have been reduced to 6,500 — a sharp fall of 65% from the previous years. Employer-sponsored visas are set to decline by about 27% to 22,000 spots.
In an email response to TOI, a spokesperson from the Australian department of home affairs said: “The focus for the permanent migration programme 2020-21 is to support our economic recovery, growing Australian businesses and creating jobs for Australians.” The areas that are seeing a rise are ‘global talent’ bracket and the ‘business innovation and investment program (BIIP)’. The first allows only experts in their field to fill gaps that cannot be filled by Australians, while the latter will be used for job creation.

Source link

Continue Reading

Jobs

“Jobs for Nature” skydivers upgrade historic glacier view track

Published

on

By

As a part of the Jobs for Nature programme, DOC has allocated $13 million of Kaimahi for Nature funding to the West Coast and is working closely with its partners in the Kotahitanga Ki Te Uru Alliance, to establish initiatives designed to help distressed businesses affected by the economic downturn of Covid-19 to retain their staff.

The skydivers, from Skydive Franz and Fox Glacier, have been affected by the lack of international tourists, and have quickly turned their hand to track building and are making good progress on upgrading the historic Alex Knob track.

‘Alex Knob’ is a 17.2 kilometre return track located in the Franz Josef Glacier valley. It saw a 17 per cent increase in visitor numbers (a total of 3800 track counter hits) in the year to June 30, as visitors sought new ways to view the Franz Josef Glacier, which has retreated markedly in the valley.

The new track building crew are upgrading the surface of the track, which over time has become rough and rutted as water has eroded sections and debris has fallen on the track. The upgrade means the track will be more suitable for a wider range of visitors. At present it is classified as a “tramping track”.

Senior Heritage and Visitor Ranger Ian Singleton says, “We showed the crew the ropes and have worked alongside them to be sure they are working safely, and now they are working autonomously with input from us when needed. Working with skydivers gives you the confidence that they’ll follow good processes to ensure safety as they have that culture in their workplace already.”

Robbie Stewart, Skydive Franz and Fox Glacier Base Manager says, “Without this opportunity from DOC it would have been difficult to continue operating in the current economic climate.

“A skydiving operation requires a range of highly skilled staff including tandem instructors, pilots, ground crew and front of house staff, all of whom are critical to the operation. The project means that we at Skydive Franz and Fox Glacier have been able to keep all these critical staff employed – without which we would have been forced to close the operation. This opportunity not only allows us to continue operating but also means that, as one of the top nine skydiving venues in the world offering New Zealand’s highest skydive, we can continue to attract visitors to the district thereby making a contribution to the sustainability of the overall community including other operators in the tourist trade, hotels, restaurants and the hospitality industry in the region.”

The track was originally built by the Graham Brothers who developed a Franz Josef guiding business and hotel for tourists who wanted to experience the beauty of this area. Although the track climbs to 1303m, the zig zag construction means it has a relatively gentle gradient up the hill and is suitable for most well-prepared people with average fitness.

Ian Singleton says, “The Alex Knob track is a great example of the type of track you can walk if you take a bit more time in South Westland, and the view from the top is world class –you have a marvellous 360 degree view out to the coast, north and south, and a panorama of the glacier and Southern Alps.”

/Public Release. The material in this public release comes from the originating organization and may be of a point-in-time nature, edited for clarity, style and length. View in full here.

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending