Connect with us

Sports

49ers Complain About Playing Surface at MetLife Stadium | Sports News

Published

on

By JOSH DUBOW, AP Pro Football Writer

The San Francisco 49ers contacted the NFL on Monday about the conditions of the playing surface at MetLife Stadium after several players went down with injuries in a victory over the New York Jets.

The new artificial surface was used in a game for the second time on Sunday. The 49ers players complained before the game that the turf was “sticky.” Those complaints only grew louder after defensive linemen Nick Bosa and Solomon Thomas, and running backs Raheem Mostert and Tevin Coleman all had knee injuries, and quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo sprained his ankle.

The Jets lost receiver Breshad Perriman to a sprained left ankle in the game.

San Francisco general manager John Lynch contacted NFL executive vice president of football operations Troy Vincent on Monday about the condition of the field. The Niners will play again at MetLife Stadium on Sunday when they visit the New York Giants.

“They’re definitely looking into it,” coach Kyle Shanahan said. “So hopefully at some time we get some answers back that can make our players feel a little bit more at ease playing there next week.”

The NFL says the field was inspected two days before the Giants-Steelers game on Sept. 14 and certified to be in compliance with all league policies. Also, home teams must certify that their fields are in compliance with NFL rules 72 hours before each game and the Jets did that before this game.

No one complained about the field after the first game there.

Giants coach Joe Judge says his team held several walkthroughs and two scrimmages on the field before the opener, with no one complaining about the surface.

Receiver Golden Tate, who missed the Giants’ first home game with a hamstring injury, said he believes the lack of an offseason program might have had a bigger impact than the turf.

“I can’t help but think that has something to do with it,” he said. “But as far as MetLife field, I think it is fine. But again, also personally having played a game on it this year, our guys did well I thought.”

Jets coach Adam Gase said Sunday was the second time his team played on the turf and they haven’t had any knee injuries.

Jets tackle George Fant said the surface wasn’t an issue for him.

“I didn’t feel anything too crazy, myself,” he said. “Yeah, I did hear that guys didn’t like the field or thought it may have caused an issue. I can’t really answer that, though, because I’m not sure.”

Shanahan said the team will look into possibly wearing different style of shoes this week to deal with potential issues with the field.

But the players are concerned after what they experienced Sunday.

“A lot of anxiety,” defensive lineman Arik Armstead said. “You see guys you love go down and get hurt. We have to come back here and play again on the same surface. That’s anxiety provoking to see that happen and know that you have to deal with it again.”

AP Pro Football Writers Dennis Waszak Jr. and Barry Wilner and AP Sports Writer Tom Canavan contributed to this report.

More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP_NFL

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



Source link

Sports

Clemson QB Lawrence: ‘I Have the Option’ to Leave or Stay | Sports News

Published

on

By

By PETE IACOBELLI, AP Sports Writer

Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence is leaving the door open about his football future despite previously saying he planned on heading to the NFL following this his junior season.

Lawrence, the 6-foot-6 passer with the flowing hair, is considered the likely consensus No. 1 pick in next spring’s NFL draft.

But on Tuesday, Lawrence said he hasn’t ruled out returning to Clemson for another year instead of going pro.

“My mindset has been that I’m going to move on,” Lawrence said. “But who knows? There’s a lot of things that could happen.”

At the forefront could be which NFL team is in line to draft Lawrence. Right now, that’s the offensively challenged New York Jets, who are 0-7 and the league’s only winless team.

Lawrence, from Cartersville, Georgia, has a 31-1 record as a starting college quarterback and has the top-ranked Tigers (6-0) in line for a sixth consecutive ACC title and trip to the College Football Playoff.

Lawrence is scheduled to graduate with a bachelor’s degree in marketing in December.

Lawrence believes there’s a plan for him, “no matter where I go, whether that’s across the country or whether it’s close to home, whether I stay another year, we’ll work it out,” he said.

More AP college football: https://apnews.com/Collegefootball and https://twitter.com/AP_Top25

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Lando Norris apologises for ‘stupid’ comments about F1 rivals

Published

on

By

“I’m not that kind of person, so know I should apologise to them but also everyone reading/listening. Sorry.”

Last Updated: 27/10/20 11:55am

Lando Norris has issued an apology over recent comments in interviews he admits were “stupid and careless” and that did not show “the respect I should have to certain people”.

Although the McLaren driver did not refer to which specific comments he was referring, they are likely to have been ones about Lance Stroll and Lewis Hamilton made after Sunday’s Portuguese GP.

A frustrated Norris was heavily critical of Stroll in the immediate aftermath of the race about the lap-17 collision between the two drivers, which earned his Racing Point rival a five-second time penalty from stewards. He claimed that Stroll “doesn’t learn from anything he does”.

In another interview, Norris also seemed to play down Hamilton’s achievement of winning a record 92 races by saying that while he was happy for his countryman “he’s in a car which should win every race, basically. He has to beat one or two other drivers, that’s it”.

But in an apology issued on Twitter on Tuesday, Norris wrote: “I’ve been stupid and careless with some things I’ve said lately in media and interviews, and haven’t shown the respect I should have to certain people.

“I’m not that kind of person, so know I should apologise to them but also everyone reading/listening. Sorry.”

1:41
Lanco Stroll went wheel-to-wheel with Lando Norris over seventh place, the two made contact during the Portuguese GP.

Lanco Stroll went wheel-to-wheel with Lando Norris over seventh place, the two made contact during the Portuguese GP.

Norris finished outside the points at Portimao after being forced to pit for repairs after the Turn-One clash with Stroll amid a fight for seventh place, having run as high as four in the early stages after both McLarens made storming starts.

The 20-year-old, who was forced out of the previous race when running well at the Nurburgring due to power unit problems, is on a run of three grands prix without points and lost ground in the multi-driver fight for fourth in the championship.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Can I celebrate Halloween during the pandemic? | NanaimoNewsNOW

Published

on

By

“There are lots of creative ways to approach this and make this year memorable,” said Dr. Colleen S. Kraft, who specializes in infectious diseases at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta.

If you’re venturing out, experts say to keep a 6-foot distance from others and sanitize hands regularly as you normally would.

Protective face coverings — plastic costume masks don’t count — should also be a part of every Halloween get-up, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Some cities have discouraged or even banned door-to-door trick-or-treating. In places where it’s allowed, there are ways to make it safer.

Various devices such as plastic grabbers can help you hand out candy without any physical contact, says Dr. Nipunie Rajapakse, a pediatric specialist at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.

Marking 6-foot spacing on sidewalks and driveways with duct tape or chalk can also discourage people from gathering at the front door.

Those with any COVID-19 symptoms, known exposures to the virus or pending tests results should stay home, according to the CDC. And experts say to avoid indoor parties and haunted houses since a lack of ventilation could make it easier for the virus to spread.

As Michigan health officials put it: “The only thing scary about Halloween should be the costumes.”

___

The AP is answering your questions about the coronavirus in this series. Submit them at: FactCheck@AP.org.

Read previous Viral Questions:

What do we know about superspreader events in the pandemic?

Does the coronavirus spread easily among children?

What are the rules on masks in schools?

The Associated Press

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending